Friday, November 4, 2011

Can a Cave Help The Winter Blues?




With winter around the corner, or for some whom already have snow on the ground; it’s time to prepare your home for more indoor living.
Like many others I have struggled with preparing for less daylight and lower temperatures but have decided to look at winter differently this year.  I’m going to prepare for the upcoming season on a more natural level.  I’m thinking about winter from the perspective of a hibernating animal and have decided to turn my home into a cave.
The first thing to prepare your cave is to get rid of clutter. Start with a spiritual cleaning and then pick a main room to act as cave. Get rid of old things you no longer need and put away all spring and summer belongings.  Of course, keeping a pair of flip flops around is still optional.  I know I find myself wearing them even on the coldest days of the year.
Surround yourself with things that you like.  Do you like to watch your herbs dry?  Make yourself an inexpensive rack and hang it up.  Do you enjoy candles?  Place them all around on safe surfaces and bask in the warm glow.  Do you have a fireplace or a wood burning stove?  Light it up and simply sit around one evening for an hour and meditate, watch the shadows of the flames dance on the wall, or simply daydream.  Short mind vacations can help with the hibernating months, too.
Visit the dollar store and decorate for every little holiday imaginable, whether you celebrate it or not.  This year I will be decorating starting with Thanksgiving and find other holidays to celebrate.  A quick search on Google will offer you a plethora of interesting information.  There is a day for just about everything!
Find faithful companions to hibernate with.  I've already announced to my teenage sons that I will be taking the old board games out from the attic and we will hang on Friday evenings, play a silly game and talk.  It’s a great way to reconnect with your children after a busy summer and a nice break from their many activities.  They were amused and recalled last winter when I took the beach chairs out of the shed, blew up two plastic palm trees and make tropical fruit drinks.  We sat around and laughed and if only for the hour or so, I was able to forget the impending snowstorm that was due to arrive that evening.
Buy some fresh flowers once a week.  Carnations are a lovely winter flower, inexpensive and come in so many different colors.  My local supermarket has fresh bouquets and one will be amazed how comforting it is to look at a colorful flower as the snow and ice blankets the outdoors.
Make the cave your own.  Work within your budget, create a cozy space and you’ll be happier when the weather keeps you indoors.  I’m hoping to create a cave where I seldom feel the effects of cabin fever.  Wish me luck. 
With a positive attitude, a higher dose of vitamin D, exercise, and a promise to myself to always get out into the sunshine, no matter the temperature, I hope to finally get my winter blues under control.  I’ll remain optimistic and if all else fails, there’s always beer and Sunday football to look forward to.

1 comment:


  1. I'm very happy being Herpes free now. It was a sad incident that was announced to me after the check up in the hospital and I was diagnosed of HSV 2. I thank God now for using Dr.odey Abang to cure my virus. I'm not ashamed to say this because no virus of such can be detected in me. I'm Charlotte from Columbia. I thought about it many Times when I heard about this Herbal cures for Herpes. I was really happy when I came across blogs of comments of Doctors who run cures sicknesses and was comfortable to try Dr. Abang from patients testimony I came across here on my online page. I knew now they are real Africa herbalists who run cures for Herpes. There's every opportunity to be cure with natural herbs, because all medical prescriptions are derived from herbs and roots. Its really hard time living with Herpes on drugs which can't get you cure. I tried this and I can boost of myself now as a woman. I need to be loved not to lost, get your instant cure to all sicknesses from Dr, Odey Abang.
    He cures HSV,HPV,Cancer,low spam count and much more from the evidence I saw 💯 % sure no site effects with active immune booster

    Email him for you cure
    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete