Saturday, September 24, 2011

Alaska's Fireweed







By Michael Montgomery


Like many Alaskan natives, I’ve always had a love-hate relationship with the fireweed.  I could appreciate the beautiful fuchsia-colored petals and thin and delicate leaves fluttering with the soft Alaskan summer winds. However, as the stems grow thicker and the flowers grow higher on the reed, one knows that the beauty of summer is in its twilight.
The fireweed’s presence begins in early spring as the young shoots are collected and used for local salads.  It often reminds me how short the spring and summer seasons can be in Alaska.
Old Native legends tell how every fireweed is the soul of a tree lost in a forest fire. When the embers of the fire have cooled and the ashes of burned wood cover the ground, the first plant to appear is the fireweed.  It rises up from the ash pile with its pink to magenta colored flowers and dares everyone to admire it.
          The fireweed has been used to make fishing nets, blankets and as food. It holds a rich culinary and medicinal history, not only in Alaska but all over the world.  It’s been used to make a relaxing tea, in salads, for skin problems and even to treat asthma in young children.  Its high content of Vitamin C and pro-vitamin A make it a great additive for soups and it’s used to produce jellies and jams.
Not only do humans use and benefit from the consumption of the fireweed, but so do animals.  Natives put it into their dog’s food and hummingbirds feast on its nectar.  From hares, to moose and white-tailed deer, the animal kingdom will feast on the fireweed.  Even, the little chipmunk will store the fireweed’s seeds for the upcoming hibernation season.
As each successive flower blooms above the one underneath, Alaskans begin to mark their calendars. As the older blooms seed and turn to cotton and the last of the flowers garnish the top of the reed, one can be rest assured, that according to legend, winter is six weeks away.  


Michael Montgomery holds a degree in chemistry and biology and is an avid outdoorsman.  He resides in New York and hopes someday to return to his native Alaska to once again admire the fireweed.



1 comment:

  1. I'm very happy being Herpes free now. It was a sad incident that was announced to me after the check up in the hospital and I was diagnosed of HSV 2. I thank God now for using Dr.odey Abang to cure my virus. I'm not ashamed to say this because no virus of such can be detected in me. I'm Charlotte from Columbia. I thought about it many Times when I heard about this Herbal cures for Herpes. I was really happy when I came across blogs of comments of Doctors who run cures sicknesses and was comfortable to try Dr. Abang from patients testimony I came across here on my online page. I knew now they are real Africa herbalists who run cures for Herpes. There's every opportunity to be cure with natural herbs, because all medical prescriptions are derived from herbs and roots. Its really hard time living with Herpes on drugs which can't get you cure. I tried this and I can boost of myself now as a woman. I need to be loved not to lost, get your instant cure to all sicknesses from Dr, Odey Abang.
    He cures HSV,HPV,Cancer,low spam count and much more from the evidence I saw �� % sure no site effects with active immune booster

    Email him for you cure
    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete